From: Eric Vought <evou...@gmail.com>
To: missourilibertycoalition@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thu, December 10, 2009 4:00:08 PM
Subject: Re: Tolerance and Profiling, which should it be?

On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:30 PM, alice rainbolt wrote:

> What am I missing here?  Who is talking about hating an entire
> group?  Are you saying I should sacrifice my "situational awareness"
> because someone might interpret my alertness for hatred?  I do not
> hate Muslims - I have worked with physicians who happen to be kind-
> hearted, courteous and very competent individuals, grateful to be in
> America.  I have also worked with a few who enjoyed the
> opportunities and wealth of our country offered them as they
> disparaged our culture and politics.  I tended to ignore them when
> possible because to listen would be to give power to their poisonous
> words.
>
> All that being said, several years ago I observed several young
> middle-eastern looking men checking out at a department store with 4
> back packs each.  They could have been Arabic or Jewish or neither
> one but since the Sept. 11 bombings were still weighing heavily on
> my mind and heart, I observed them as closely as I could in order to
> describe them in case anything untoward happened in the area.
>
> Do you interpret my actions as "hateful" and unjust?

Yes, IF AND ONLY IF your 'situational awareness' does not extend to
Christian radicals, hispanic criminals, white trash hoodlums,
government agents, poor drivers, used car salesmen, tornados, and
every other category of threats that we deal with MORE OFTEN than
radical Muslims. I have not experienced a shooting rampage by a Muslim
extremist, but my school was shot up by a Catholic of Oriental
descent. But I do not watch Oriental Catholics out of the corner of my
eye... more than I do everyone else. I carry a gun most days, but it
is not out of fear of Oriental Catholics. It, and the bits of First
Aid implements I also carry, is so I can be prepared for ANY emergency
in ways that I was not in the past.

The 'quiz' was very obviously slanted in the incidents that it chose
to cover. I could create a quiz just as easily to justify fear of the
number twelve.

The fact is that your chances of being murdered by a Muslim extremist
are miniscule compared to other threats. As a farmer, for instance, my
number one threat is apparently MYSELF, as suicide has topped the
charts for farmers in Missouri and I get a double-whammy being
disabled as well. But I do not carry a mirror around with me all day
to keep an eye on myself or insist that my wife tie me up (well...
anyway... :-) ).

Yes, I am being ridiculous, but it is to point out that the situation
as a whole is rather silly.

And, incidentally, I am in communication with the Oriental Catholic
who shot up my school. Now that he is no longer a threat (he is still
in prison), I TRY not to bother hating/fearing even him, though I
admit me it has taken me a shameful number of years to get to that
point and it is still hard. 16 years and 361 days later, I have an
unfinished letter sitting here which I am having a lot of trouble
with. Fortunately there are interesting online discussions to keep me
distracted.

But the point is that this is not easy, but it is something we are
supposed to do. In fact, one might argue that we have a greater duty
if they really ARE out to get us. You know, "Do good to those who
persecute you..." and all that. Yeah, I have trouble with that one, too.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and
make moral distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is
as much responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."