On Jul 25, 2010, at 1:41 PM, Fred B. Ellison wrote:

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/7734/does-the-press-deserve-a-bailout
Does the press deserve a bailout?

I think that government subsidization of the Press would be a terrible mistake, kind-of like putting alcohol regulation in the hands of the Mob.

Both the (paper) Press and the Post Office are now in financial trouble. Originally, in this country, the Post Office and the local newspapers were linked. The local Post Master was often a printer and would use access to the post to reduce the expense of their paper distribution. This is why Ben Franklin was a Post Master. Why not do that again? Does it create a monopoly? Sure, but a natural monopoly, just as the ownership of transmission lines does with utilities. And we already know that people have alternatives for getting news: that's what caused the problem in the first place. Having 100% of a dying market is probably not a huge threat to the public, and it would not yield 100% control anyway, but it might give an incentive for some small papers to remain and for post offices to continue rural operation.

But, I guess the big questions is that if the Internet mostly destroys the paper press, so what? The printing press did a serious number on the Town Crier. It is not like the Internet is destroying the reporting of news. Other outlets are developing to distribute that information. Now, it is true that many of the Internet sources tend to be secondary sources (they are re-reporting news gathered by someone else), but if we let the free market act and a lot of those primary sources disappear, then people will have a reason to pay for good primary information and reporting. Right now, they do not.

I would like to look at ways to encourage local. grassroots reporting of first-hand news, but I don't think we are the crisis point of requiring government intervention, even if that were a good idea.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and make moral distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is as much responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."