Yes folks it was the people in the GOP who killed some very good bills this
session.  Cancer is spreading as liberty dies.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Putnam <comse...@jscomm.net>
Date: Sat, May 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Subject: [SWMO-Conserv-Net] Fwd: SJR 14 failed -- prologue
To: swmo-conserv-net-l...@meetup.com

Looks like I spoke too soon about SJR 14 as well. My apologies for not
confirming g what I thought I heard on the Internet streaming audio. An
explanation from Ron Calzone follows.

John

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Ron Calzone
*Date:* May 18, 2013, 12:00:25 AM CDT
*Subject:* *SJR 14 failed --  prologue*

John,

SJR
14<http://www.senate.mo.gov/13info/BTS_Web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=17272434>would
have given voters the opportunity to add the word
*“unalienable”* to the Missouri Constitution's "right to keep and bear
arms" clause.   That *would* have been a powerful tool in legal battles
relating to that right.  It would have been if the bill had not been
torpedoed by the most powerful guy in the General Assembly, that is.

I can't be sure why -- maybe he had a good reason -- but Speaker Tim Jones
clearly did not want SJR 14 to pass.  Here's the evidence:

   1. Although it was passed by the Senate and reported to the House on
   April 4th, it didn't come up for a vote on the House floor until the last
   couple of hours of the session. (Nearly a month and a half later.)
   2. Even then, it was a struggle to get it to the floor and there's
   reason to believe that he would not allow it to come to the floor unless it
   was amended -- an action that would surely kill it, since it would, then,
   have to go back to the Senate for another vote and inevitable filibuster.
   3. Once SJR 14 was on the House floor, Tim's cousin, Caleb Jones, did
   nothing to "pitch" the bill or warn of the need to pass it without
   amendments.
   4. Once Rep. Rick Brattin offered his pre-planned bill-killing
   amendment, they shut down the debate before anyone could explain the
   dangers of amending the bill.
   5. In spite of the lack of debate, most of the Republicans understood
   they needed to vote no.   The voice vote was clearly in the favor of the
   "noes", but Speaker Jones called it for the yeas.
   6. They then shut down debate on the whole bill and voted it out.
   7. The bill then had to go back to the Senate, where it had started back
   on January 17th and miraculously escaped filibuster.   This time, in the
   final minutes of session,  SJR 14 succumbed to the inevitable filibuster.

 Now the Speaker can claim that the House "passed" the bill, even though
what he did clearly set it up for failure in the Senate.

If you have a chance, please ask Speaker Tim Jones why he wanted to
kill SJR14 and let me know what he says.

It should be noted that a *clear majority* of the Missouri House of
Representatives did not want the Brattin amendment and DID want to pass the
Senate version of SJR 14.

*Missouri Second Amendment Preservation Act Waiting Governor's Signature*

As disappointing as the loss of SJR 14 was, we need to remember that *HB
436 was a success*.   Speaker Jones *did* allow that to pass.  We will see
what happens if an override of a veto is needed.   It may be several weeks
before we know if the Governor vetoes it.

Thank you to all of you who responded with phone calls and tweets today!!

For Liberty,

- Ron

--
Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
In

 Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 <#13eb68c11abdb8f6_> |
supp...@meetup.com

--
"no cause is lost if there is but one fool to fight for it"
~Will Turner~

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are
free." ~Goethe

www.moliberty.org

http://417-political-pundit.blogspot.com

The power to tax involves the power to destroy.
~Justice John Marshall~

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

A legislative act contrary to the Constitution is not law.
~Justice John Marshall~

---
"missourilibertycoalition" group.
to missourilibertycoalition+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.