<http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?t=1116107027813.0.1109020606174.1806&ts=S0992&r=3
&o=http://ui.constantcontact.com/images/p1x1.gif>

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvoaF5jj_Rkj9nc7ucTmFAsa4wHgPfE5lvmH
LRrXS9U7n26gNaLrs6qG0hnUNLtmyTLWka8zEG58XmqhdyZTE2VKITRTkiNzIkW65mYLdeKhnx9s
rqsHiA0x>

December 30, 2013

Pro Bono

U2 singer Paul David Hewson, best known by his stage name Bono, has come to
recognize that capitalism is crucial in lifting people out of poverty in any
permanent way.

He now calls institutionalized charity like foreign aid only a "stopgap,"
not a basic cure for poverty - an understanding perhaps still too generous,
since such aid can prevent needed economic and other reforms and thus help
entrench poverty.

In any case, for decades Bono has both raised money from individuals for
international charity and chastised government officials whose policies
seemed too stingy (in spending other people's money). Now he is surprised to
be touting the pivotal virtues of money-making and entrepreneurship.
<http://thisiscommonsense.com/images/pro-bono.png>

"Rock star preaches capitalism. Wow. Sometimes I hear myself and I just
can't believe it. But commerce is real. That's what you're about here. It's
real. Aid is just a stopgap. Commerce - entrepreneurial capitalism - takes
more people out of poverty than aid. Of course we know that." (See a clip
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvrI1l6mQiz5WhTnKbrdpUZT1CG44eYqHkdK
zHh7GRErEVqI3xYgmRLVIe-p_hc9tAkus1ZrcGPLQ_CUxVq7_GDqHutPVgM1BKIjzmRdWFAJP61M
VAplWj0bSpLSaTHXc8_vHYw2GaE0wzSVoGpujilkJymZ91nFaHzK4sABemja_CQeJMj0qv9S12rj
CCHyfy7sUf8biCDeTB7NGQ2VbUaN>  of these words.)

The rock star's epiphany came after a TED talk a few years ago by George
Ayittey, in which the speaker "made a special effort to rip into the foreign
aid establishment," knowing
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvrYdQl_gsJ135HXw05Odm9j5EYVBzag-Z_Z
i7q5tORfLyFb8GdRtL3C_O0eebWx33ry5fZyb6RxSlhrD5sEHt5UGCjqDv1ffobm0W512yB0wCf8
bSWjWpGQ7FN_qbGMmuRuNZ_BDDVhBD181G0cWuiUq-X4wYTkeyH-DGfeuz7k4DkguZ_1VYIt3hXD
5rJrg0GQ40dHYH4SwNRgEyDesKWQ>  that Bono was in the audience. When the star
came up after the talk to express his disagreement, Ayittey gave him a copy
of his ideology-changing book
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvroQMZxjkuJH_WtuKqPGRI5pjsRvAAVfWKE
1ih7DO-4mZES55c8foI11_z6FxNv6tJQZRGc0qwxu204oInxCrn1u3OlOwROzbbf_pEgzjGscG8k
a6RqstQN1bnpb3QngZ5JevvDkQoW2ujOQZ0KlP8m7SwiPFFkFNc=> Africa Unchained: The
Blueprint for Development.

Perspectives unchained by myth and politics are a good idea too.

This is Common Sense. I'm Paul Jacob.

Comment on this episode
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvrDbTc7CeFQRKlGAJq9xD5sghBEz25eNR4X
zL8K2ky1d45SL7vV9PmT1ywDA9xIId8z-uhRT_UJBk1H0GOom8LE4pW9XQHhnMVsnBzce7W3I12O
ZMNkktoCS_GW7fexj9s=>  | View/Print the PDF
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvqZ129H0IE2oslzONZUtI8hBzxfM_tJwuW6
ruOelnefNb_nXSNcWpDctalH1R3fuqeWMFLyfhmjmzf2iFr5tLkHHHKP5b3cGGaZLPu_I436o9-9
XQi_F0xLikLlsK6lGkdxp5Re9UWF_Q==>

Today

Scientologists celebrate December 30 as Freedom Day.

Thought

  <http://thisiscommonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SamuelAdams.jpg>
Our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall be free, but whether
there shall be left to mankind an asylum on earth for civil and religious
liberty.
-Samuel Adams

  <http://thisiscommonsense.com/images/GCF-vertical-logo.png>

Paul Jacob is President of the Liberty Initiative Fund
<http://libertyifund.org/>  as well as a board member of Great Communicators
Foundation, which sponsors both Common Sense
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvoaF5jj_Rkj9nc7ucTmFAsa4wHgPfE5lvmH
LRrXS9U7n26gNaLrs6qG0hnUNLtmyTLWka8zEG58XmqhdyZTE2VKITRTkiNzIkW65mYLdeKhnx9s
rqsHiA0x>  and Paul's weekly Townhall Column
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvq8jRalFem_NihtXRf8gm5UxhrlvXa7AcpF
KkOSd-EPc1FpyGrpHEgex60U8eB_6Wo17QvW7NsgcYdnh17-7lWTL2CRsbCVomqUAtTp5YdGJ146
MPIENQKfqrCr4_TwNguNE3rRw7xCgw==> . The opinions expressed in Common Sense
and at Townhall are Paul Jacob's and do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of Liberty Initiative Fund or the Great Communicators Foundation.

Make Common Sense
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001flTSoqWuHvo4dFDGcCX2ZZOyDA4ptrHaby_a6xv4xlnY
z66fSVngs4JpTnceEbqqDYU77lQHp2-Gi5CSGua_F_jAq1D3zUPtUCvTVfZActJPAgaehpn9jTzE
7g_GQsQk>  your daily stop on the Web!

    <http://thisiscommonsense.com/images/GCF-horizontal-logo-550w.png>

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=custom01>

Update Profile/Email Address
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=0017WwahkuseW_c_Y1MktImNWqsH
Lv-RErQ&t=00132NLmtaor-MC-X9z_BN2OA%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&llr=5w4om8iab>
| Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=0017WwahkuseW_c_Y1MktImNWqsH
Lv-RErQ&t=00132NLmtaor-MC-X9z_BN2OA%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&llr=5w4om8iab>
T | Privacy Policy
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .

Great Communicators Foundation | 2050 Old Bridge Road | Suite 103 |
Woodbridge | VA | 22192

---
"missourilibertycoalition" group.
to missourilibertycoalition+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.