Hi Owen,

The qDebugs/printfs that fire when you load a track might be causing
your dropouts, if you're running from the terminal. (Printfs cause
huge performance hits.)

I've found that piping Mixxx's output to /dev/null helps:

   mixxx >& /dev/null

If that doesn't improve performance, try launching it from Nautilus or
compiling with qdebug=0 (should turn off output).

Thanks,
Albert

P.S. If this improves performance for you, we should put it in our FAQ
because it's handy knowledge.