Right, of course, my setup:
Ubuntu 9.10 on a Dell M1330, set to Performance (high speed CPU) mode,
2.4Ghz.  I'm using the RT kernel.  The video card is nvidia, using the
restricted driver.  I'm using jackd with an Audio4DJ as my sound card.
(If I try to use ALSA directly I get The Ubuntu Crash).  I usually use
compiz, and I don't see much improvement if I try metacity.

Right now I can eliminate nearly all of the dropouts if I set jack to
24ms.  If I use a non-rt kernel, I have to set it to 36ms.  Anything
less than that and I get pops when I load a track.

thanks,
owen