I think the main problem we have with Phonon is that it is an abstraction
level higher than what we need. It's more oriented around playing files for
you.

It does seem to support a raw-data output via AudioDataOutput, but the
description itself says it's not for realtime use:
"Although it is not designed for realtime performance, the latencies
associated with accessing the data should be low enough for applications
that provide visualizations of the data. This class can also be used to save
the audio data for further processing."

Beyond this, another deal-breaker is that the most precise way to refer to
time offered by Phonon is milliseconds. You seek by saying the millisecond
you would like to seek to.
RJ