As of
https://github.com/mixxxdj/mixxx/commit/a47ae69cabbdabcec417e3b268a0d21fafccab1e:

.sconsign.branch in the repository root now tells which branch the *_build
and .sconsign.dblite files relate to.

If .sconsign.branch does not match git's current branch, *_build and
.sconsign.dblite are moved to cache/$oldbranch/ and files from
cache/$newbranch/ are moved to the root. So if you are on master, your
cache/master folder should be empty. I originally tried symlinks and
SCons.Environment.SConsignFile but that caused the strange build issues I
talk about in the commit message.

If you switch to a new branch:
$ git checkout -b new_work

You can do this:

$ mkdir -p cache/new_work
$ cp -rf *_build cache/new_work/
$ cp .sconsign.dblite cache/new_work/sconsign.dblite

(Note the file is .sconsign.dblite in the root but sconsign.dblite in the
cache/new_work folder. I probably should have made them the same name for
clarity).

Then run scons. SCons will move the current *_build and .sconsign.dblite to
cache/master and then move the copies from cache/new_work/ to the root. If
this is not working for you check to make sure that when you are on a
branch (e.g. master) that cache/$branchname is totally empty because the
*_build folder and .sconsign.dblite should be in the root.

If it's a quick throw-away branch you can also do:

$ scons virtualize=0  (reuses existing .sconsign.dblite and *_build folder
in the root without moving anything around)

and just do virtualize=1 when you switch back to master to turn on build
folder virtualization again.