Another reply in its entirety for reference:

       Totally. I designed the timecode notation so people can fill in any
       format they feel most useful inside the parenthesis. (Assuming the
       format makes it immediately – and always – obvious this is not
       time in
       minutes and seconds but something else.)

   I suppose the presence of a colon would be sufficient to determine
   whether it's time or something else. I'd like to assume no colon and
   integers means measure numbers (with negative numbers to mean
   measures left in the track) but is that a safe assumption? I.e.
   would anyone want to use bare integers to denote something else? Or
   can we claim them for this now? :)

I don't think so. Just integer is a good choice.

   Of course, a time signature is required to properly denote measure
   numbers, so how could that be denoted? If a slash is present within
   parentheses with integers on either side? e.g. (4/4)  (6/8)  (3/4)
   etc. A track that denoted this would need to have such a designator
   at the beginning of the DJ notation line, e.g.
            +(-6:08)#(-2:57)~(-2:27)#>(-0:15)-
   would become:
            (4/4)+(-6:08)#(-2:57)~(-2:27)#>(-0:15)-

   Using (fudged) measure numbers, assuming the example was 6:30 long
   and 120BPM it would be:
            (4/4)+(11)#(106)~(121)#>(187)-

   If the signature changed mid-track (at measure 110 in this example,)
   the notation could just state that like so (measure numbers adjusted
   for the new signature):
            (4/4)+(11)#(106)(110)(3/4)~(124)#>(212)-

   Or should it have an extra hash between the two location points like so?
            (4/4)+(11)#(106)#(110)(3/4)~(124)#>(212)-

   So a time signature would still be optional when using time
   elapsed/remaining location designators but would be required if
   using measure numbers.

I like this, but I'll still push back a little.

If this is not user facing, should this really be a part of DJ Notation? I fear polluting the definition by non-user-facing syntax. For a DJ, the signature is either part of the genre, so it's not recorded at all, or it's saved elsewhere than in DJ Notation (it's not really a property of the song composition in the sense of temporal sequencing, I think – it's a property of rhythm). For the same reason, tags like 'energetic', 'calm', 'anthem' and similar are not part of the Notation.

So my question is: do you really need to have the signature information in the DJ Notation string?

If so: What do you think about creating a Mixxx DJ Notation (working title). It's a superset of DJ Notation that is not really meant to be used by humans. It is easily convertible to DJ Notation and (with help) from DJ Notation. It can have other hints that would not make sense for a human, but are helpful for software. It is standardized, but has a separate page on www.djnotation.org <http://www.djnotation.org>, so its symbology doesn't confuse humans.

Does this work?
Download it for free now!