Gang (and especially Pegasus),

Is it too late to bring in a Mixxx-native driver for the Hercules Steel?
I've been getting some so-so beta testing for this controller on my hdjd
userspace driver and it should be a pretty small change to get this added
to the bulk driver.

Both the MP3e2 and Steel send MIDI control messages over the USB Bulk
interface. My hdjd, so far, just translates to and from ALSA MIDI events,
so it works with basically every version of Mixxx.

When I was first writing this driver, you guys (probably Pegasus)
encouraged me to make it its own type of driver and not piggyback on the
MIDI driver. But now that a second device (2 out of 2) is known to send
MIDI, it would actually be a significant reduction in lines of code if I
went back to providing a driver that made these two use the MIDI code. It'd
be simpler to explain to users, too: everybody would be using the same code
path, same setup, etc.

The Steel actually has a second mode that sends HID messages. I haven't
played with this one much since it was so easy to do the MIDI. But it's
looking, to me, like no controller from Hercules is going to be doing some
crazy thing requiring a totally brand new controller directory. (I have yet
to crack the 4Set though. RJ Ryan, any word back?)

So, what say you? Can I retool the "bulk" code to be a shim in front of the
MIDI code? Is it maybe too close to 1.12 for this kind of change? Can I at
least add in support for the Steel?