Hi,

Just one note about visualizers: one DJ related use might be to send it to a
projector shown to the people, which the DJ normally does not even see, but
which would be shown to the audience, maybe with track info or something. Think
of a simple VJ setup. I guess it might get boring after about two songs.

This could be part of mixxx, but I think better way would be to make sure mixxx
can export track data (BPM, song changes, track metadata) to local network and
you would use a separate computer controlled by dedicated VJ to process the
data and use it however they want. Such real-time data export could be useful
for automated DMX controls as well, at least real time BPM info.

I don’t know if there is a common format for such VJ/DMX remote data input:
common options would be TCP service the others listen, HTTP web socket. Anyway,
we currently don’t have any good way to export such data on the fly, and this
might be worth implementing: for example just broadcast data on localhost in
our own format and leave it to a custom client process to read it and forward
in required format to other computers or services.

As a hack, I did this for a birthday party this way:

- From mixxx, record the session with cue sheet enable (modified cue sheet
output to just export fully qualified path of file)
- On local tornado web server, parse mixxx recording cue sheet automatically
every 100 ms in web server daemon
- When song change is detected, load metadata from local file, encoding album
as base64 and publish this to a web socket browser clients listen to.
Additionally keep a ‘recently played’ queue with metadata and export this to
web socket as well
- as client I had a kiosk mode laptop, connected to a projector, showing what
has been played and what is playing now (with album art)

This hack web server also checked iTunes playing track from same laptop: if
mixxx is playing, show that song, if mixxx is not playing but iTunes is playing
use that iTunes track for info, and if nothing is playing clear the playing
track info on screen.

Works nice, but it’s a hack:

- need to change cue sheet format in mixxx code to fit this purpose: this
change is not compatible with .cue format
- must remember to start recording or cue sheet is not written to, and you’ll
have useless recording of the session
- it’s not a visualization, just a ‘currently playing track x’ info screen for
my friends

Anyway if someone needs this, ask me for source code. I did not bother
publishing the repository because it was a one time use quick hack and
especially because it needs changes to mixxx source code which I did not even
save for myself. It’s not hard to get it running but it’s not certainly
production ready code.

        *hile*