Just some words from my side. I really don't want to give any recommendations to you, because I'm biased ;)

The NewSoundSourceAPI branch has gone through many iterations and Daniel spent a LOT of time reviewing my code very thoroughly. He also provided the key ideas to fix the MP3 decoding issues! During the last months the code base has become pretty stable and we have not discovered any severe defects lately. It is secured by new tests for many codecs and moreover the critical parts of the code are guarded by lots of debug assertions that should indicate potential issues or wrong assumptions early during development in debug builds.

Of course, I would feel much safer if the new code had been tested by experienced developers first before rushing it out to the public. On the other hand, I personally never switched back to master without any regrets after what I have found there!

Main features:
* API: Floating-point sample processing
* API: Explicit notion of #channels instead of implicitly assuming always stereo
* Update, optimization or even re-implementation (MP3, FLAC, AAC/M4A, ...) of audio decoding
* Many metadata improvements (parsing, character encoding)

Open issues:
* Windows build with SoundSourceMediaFoundation
* OS X build with SoundSourceCoreAudio

Uwe