I've created a PR with astyle settings so that everyone can see how the
code looks then.

It seems to me astyle has less problems with a variable line-length then
clang-format.

The conversion of the code base could be done piece by piece. We just
decide to use the auto-formatter from some point on and provide a
git-hook script for new contributors (so git will apply
astyle/clang-format before every commit).

best Max