Hi RJ,

> Interesting -- do Library Track Tables need a title now? In Mixxx 2.0 we
> know what playlist is selected based on the highlight in the sidebar tree,
> but this may be harder to tell in particular because the focus highlight is
> somewhat subtle. Maybe we could clear up the need for keeping this
> highlight in sync by adding a title to the track tables. For example, when
> you have AutoDJ and Playlist: Foobaz showing, if the sidebar expanded is
> showing the list of playlists with "Foobaz" highlighted then you have no
> way of know what the AutoDJ track table is (other than seeing the ADJ
> buttons).

A title can be a good start to show what is selected

> Or, for the specific case of two playlists showing at the same time --
> each library track table could be styled with a particular color (e.g. a
> rim around it or a background color / alternate row color), and the
> expanded sidebar can put a colored dot next to each playlist to signify
> which library track table they are loaded.
>
> From a UX perspective, I think I may find it jarring if changing the
> focused library track table caused the library sidebar expanded to change.
> It may even be frustrating if I was trying to do something with the sidebar
> in the state that it was in and then changing the focus made it change even
> though I didn't touch the sidebar at all.

I think that with this you just solved all the drag idea =) ! What about
only changing the library sidebar expanded when the user clicks a button in
the library sidebar? This should allow both drag and drop and respecting
the user experience. The same goes for the track tables they can change by
both a library sidebar or a library sidebar expanded action. This will
remove the option to have two instances of every feature's sidebar
expanded, like I explained in the "100 crates example" but it's not a big
problem.

> IMO, apps that have "action at a distance" can be frustrating because you
> have to fiddle with it to get it into the state you want -- if every action
> only has local consequences then that can lead to simpler mental models and
> less fiddling needed by the user. Sometimes this comes with a cost of extra
> user actions needed but that's a trade-off.
>
> Examples of what I mean by "local consequences":
> - Click "Playlists" button bar item -> loads playlist list into the
> expanded sidebar.
> - Drag "My Playlist" from playlist expanded sidebar view to one of the
> track tables -> loads that playlist into that track table.
> - Hit "X" button on track table view to dismiss/close it -> closes just
> that track table view with no other side effects)

Yes I understand, it's very important "local consequences"

I will be waiting for your answer,
Joan