Why not having two feature list, one on the left as it is actually to switch the left pane, and one on the right to switch le right pane ?

This way, you click in the left feature list when you want to change the left pane and in the right feature list when you want to change the right pane.

With current large screens and hidden text in feature list, there should not be a space issue.

Regards,

sb