> The video is encoded by the broadcaster, not me. I have
> a digital TV receiver connected to a PC which has software
> which can record the digital TV MPEG2 stream to its hard
> disk.
I've got one myself... a huge leap forward over analog stuff...

>With a quick demux/remux the recordings can be put onto
> DVD with no MPEG transcoding at all, i.e. the DVD contains
> the original broadcast MPEG2 video and MP2 audio.
This is not always going to work as DVB allows higher peak bitrates than DVD.

>The
> trouble is that the PC software uses an ordinary clock timer to
> start and stop the recording, like a normal VHS VCR, so there
> is usually extra unwanted video at the start and end. The
> mplex tool lets you chop unwanted material off the end with
> the -l option but I can't find a way to have the multiplexed
> output start from <n> seconds into the streams being muxed.
> The fact that mplex can segment the input streams into multiple
> standalone muxed files (e.g. for splitting across CDs)
> demonstrates that the principle is possible.

Chuckle... if only it were so simple   Half the code-complexity in mplex
relates managing run-in  / run-out correctly for (S)VCD and and it gets a lot
of help from the *encoder* which helpfully places end-of-sequence markers to
indicate where a clean split can take place.

Anyway, what is possible is that you can cleanly split at *closed* GOPs (one
where the initial frames do not refer to the previous GOP.  It would not be
hard to modify mplex to spot the nearest closed GOP to a specified start-time
and start multiplexing from there.  I'll see what I can do over the next
couple of days.

Aside: if you can send me the commands you're using for splitting your DVB
files (VDR .vdr's?) I can check it all works myself.

        Andrew