Ronald, et al.,

Thanks for the help.  I have a couple followup questions:

> Hi William,
>
> > to the release of mjpegtools 1.6.2?  And then to the question of when
> > 1.6.2 might be released.
>
> I might just add it to the HEAD branch, which means it wouldn't go into
> 1.6.2, but into 1.7.x. I can send you the patch or a patched RPM or a
> patched yuv2lav or so if you want to, though.

Yes, either of those options would be great.  Would the patch be against
1.6.2 or 1.6.1?

> VIA only matters for recording, mostly.

Great.  I won't worry about that then.

> There's some things you could do. One of them is to use LVS - I use it
> for (basic) editing. It has some filters, transitions, etc. It's not a
> full-blown premiere editor, but I've used it for what you described:
> separating audio and video, doing video with LVS and audio with
> Audacity. Then, I just encode sound manually and then video in LVS'
> encoding window, and then mplex it together. Result: a nice MPEG with
> audacity-edited audio and LVS-edited video, nice in sync.

Yes, LVS looks like it would be quite helpful, but I haven't had
much luck getting it to read & playback my movie files.  The best
I could do was a file converted from dv2 to mjpeg using dv2jpg,
but that would only play the sound, and the sliding time bar would
remain all the way to the right (this is under the "Playback Video"
tab).  The other problem with this method is that dv2jpg reduces
the size of the video to 1/4 size.

None of my other movie files worked at all (the original dv2,
the yuv as converted using lav2yuv, nor the lav as converted
back using yuv2lav).  I also tested these movie files with
lavplay/yuvplay, mplayer and aviplay, and they play to various
degrees of success.  The yuvplay and lavplay programs both play
the converted yuv and lav converted files as expected (no sound
of course), mplayer plays the lav file but with double the
height, and aviplay won't play the lav file (but does play
the original dv2).

The real surprise is that lavplay plays the file fine, but
LVS doesn't.  In fact, LVS reports that lavplay returns
two errors:
        "Lavplay stopped and gave the following error:
        [lavplay] Error reading video frame: avilib - Error reading
        from AVI file - Bad address"
then:
        "Lavplay stopped and gave the following error:
        [lavplay] Error requesting buffers: Invalid argument"

Because it also complains about the v4l stuff when I run "studio"
I made sure the v4l drivers were installed (both for my LML33
and for my bttv device -- but not at the same time).  I got the
same error for both.

Here is what I get when I first run "studio":
        "Guessing port..... No suitable video4linux port found, \
        please supply one by using the "-p <num>" switch. Use the \
        "-t" switch to see the list of ports available on your computer.
        If you cannot find a video4linux device, you probably need \
        to enable the Xvideo extension in your X-server"

and it says this twice.  I have a working v4l device at /dev/video0,
which is what is set in the preferences, but that doesn't seem
to help.  Again, I'm not sure whether this is related to my
inability to play lav file in LVS.

For the record, I just upgraded mjpegtools to 1.6.1, and LVS
to 0.1.7.

> Other options include going for more professional packages such as
> MainActor, or buying a Mac and Adobe Premiere, which is quite expensive
> taken all together.

I've tried MainActor, and Cinelerra.  I'm supposed to have a key
for the full version of MainActor from my LML33 purchase, but I
don't think they've sent it yet.  In any event, while MainActor
looks like something I would like to use, as soon as I load a
movie file and press the "play" button on the "Timeline Player"
window it seg-faults, so that doesn't help me much.  In Cinelerra,
which I recently downloaded, I can't load any of my movie files --
only the Elton John sample file.

I did noticed on the MainConcept web page that there is a new
version of MainActor out (I have 3.65, 5.0rc1 is now out), but
it appears they only have a Windows demo version available for
download.  As far as buying a new computer, I'd probably first
go the boot into Windows and use Windows software since I already
have a decent machine.  But I'd rather not, since I may have
other Linux needs that might need to be addressed at the same
time.

> Ronald

Thanks again for your help (and for the software in the first
place).  If any of my trouble have obvious solutions, or if you
want me to try something to help debug any problems, let me know.

        Bill