--- Florin Andrei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 08:44, Bernhard Praschinger wrote:
> >
> > > What do you guys recommend as a TV out device for a Linux computer?
> > > The requirements as i can think of right now:
> > > - drivers available for free (or coming with the device) but anyway
> > > it must not have weird requirements regarding the kernel etc. (a la
> > > nVidia)
> > Has your computer enought power to convert the video to mjpeg, and
> > than play it back using your mjpeg card. That should work well with
> > mplayer and a CPU faster than 1GHz.
>
> I'll definitely keep that in my mind.
> Meanwhile, someone else suggested a DXR3 card. Besides being cheap, it
> fits my requirements. Seems like i'll experiment with that first.

The DXR3/Hollywood+ cards make excellent TV out devices for Linux
computers.  I'm using several Hollywood+'s (same basic card as a Creative
DXR3) for my pvr/timeshifting setup and it (the H+) produces a simply
beautiful picture out to the tv with either good quality input encoded
with mpeg2enc, or from DVD vob files.

The latest mplayer has some small a/v sync issues with the H+ and seeking
forward/backwards within the stream, but a pause or reverse/forward jump
always seems to get it back into sync at least so far.

Also, the em8300 (the mpeg chip on the DXR3/H+) seems capable of playing
almost any mpeg that exists.  The only mpeg's I've found that confused it
even a little where some test mpegs I did with -I2 mode on mpeg2enc.  -I0
or -I1 mpegs work perfectly though.  It does, however, only play mpeg
files, no avi, no mpeg4, now wmv, etc.  Mplayer will autocovert in real
time to mpeg for playing an avi/mpeg4/wmv/etc., but then that requires a
healthy CPU to keep up with the load.

I do recommend the card if you are looking for a very inexpensive hardware
mpeg player with very good TV out signal quality.  S-video from H+ to TV
set generates an incredible picture.

Rich