It is a low volume group for the most part - would it be feasible
        to use the individual article form I wonder?

Done.  Bad enough I did it twice in a row, but I know me, and I'd do
it again if I stayed on digest.  Now if others wouldn't rub it in by
replying with the same subject line... :)

        Not really, at least I don't think so.  What I _think_ I need
        (and have the initial attempt running) is a _very_ selective
        highpass filter (no pixels with Y' above 48 are even looked at)
        that uses a 'midpoint' and a combination of clip and core.  More below.

I assume you mean highpass in the Y-domain sense and not in the usual
Fourier domain sense?

   To reduce the random shades of grey problem what I want to do
        is convert

                                         23-31/124-132/124-132 into 28/128/128

        but leave things like 49/125/128 and 16/200/64 alone.

  What you are suggesting is a more precise clipping/quantizing of the
color 3-space than my own slash-and-burn.  I was thinking that Y=16
was black regardless of CbCr, which I guess isn't really true.  Do you
actually have visible colored regions where Y is meaningfully less
than your gray patches?  I was assuming that below 28 or so everything
was essentially black, and that you wanted to translate your gray
regions to true black.  But it sounds like the Y values of your gray
areas actually float above those of some image features you want to
keep?

I'll look forward to trying this out.  Does it seem to reduce bitrates
much?

Dan