On Friday 27 June 2003 02:21, Diz One wrote:
> thanks for your speedy replies guys. this is in effect what i did. both
> results give me a .txt file. it seems that the installer doesn't rate
> this much. what extension should it be? appreciate the help guys

There shouldn't be any at all.

It seems like you're suffering from two levels of less-than-perfect behavior
at once:

1) The file has no extension. The server doesn't know what it is, and defaults
to saying that it is plaintext.

2) The server says the file is plaintext, and the browser is desperate to put
an extension on it, and so it just imagines a .txt extension and tack it on
to the name.

I suppose the file is a Mac OS executable. In that case, you'll have to save
it, remove the extension, and use something like ResEdit to set the type to
APPL/something or something/APPL; I've not handled ResEdit in years.

A better way of handling it would be to package the files in something the
server, the browser and Mac OS understands. MacBinary, StuffIt, BinHex or
somesuch would be ideal, I think. That's not something you can do, but rather
whomever put the files there in the first place.

Oof, I have to sleep a bit more. Waking up way, way too early isn't always a
good thing. :)

/Sam