Greetings!

We are a group of undergraduate students presently working on our undergraduate
thesis.  One of the things that we have to do initially is to digitize videos
which we have recorded using a Sony Video Camera Recorder (CCD-TRV16 NTSC).  Is
it possible to do this using MJPEG tools?  I know it is possible to do video
recording via mjpeg tools, but what about capturing what we have already
recorded on the video tape and then saving it on our computer in AVI format?
As I understand, once we have avi files, we can use mjpeg to separate images
(what we actually need for our thesis).

If these things are not possible with mjpeg tools, what tools can we use to
achieve our purpose?  Here are the specifications : we are running Mandrake 9.0
and using Matrox G450eTV card.  I have already installed the appropriate
drivers for the card as described in numbers 1 and 2 in
http://linux.zsolt.net/marvel.html

However, I am currently having difficulties installing xawtv (do we still need
xawtv?).

Thank you very much.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Riza Theresa Batista
Department of Computer Science
University of the Philippines