On 14 Aug 2003, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Quoting from the HOWTO, the "Creating DVD's" section:
>
> "The maximum bitrate is set to 7500kBps" (it talks about mpeg2enc)
                                     ^^^^
                                      ??

> Is that true? I ran mpeg2enc with -b 9800 and it didn't complain. Or is
> the max bitrate set automatically when -b goes beyond it?

The last time I looked (1.6.?) the default for -f 8 was 7500kbps
(kilobits/sec, not kBps), or the -b value if specified (again, in kbps)
with a max cut-off of 10000kbps. If you use vbr, this refers to the peak
video rate. These numbers could be different in the current CVS version.

IIRC, in versions 1.6.0 and probably 1.6.1 the mplex mux rate for DVD
profile is hard coded to 1008000kbps irrespective of the -r value
specified on the command line. I think this has been "corrected" in the
CVS.

Selva