>> $ cat result3.yuv | mpeg2enc -v -o result3.m1v
 >> **ERROR: [mpeg2enc] Could not read YUV4MPEG2 header: bad header magic!
 >Have you tried running that in gdb, so you can find out where is really
 >crashes.
 >
 >But I guess that the problem is not really in mpeg2enc.

The "-v" to mpeg2enc requires a numeric argument --- that weird "bad header
 magic" error is because the argument was missing.  (Thus, the "-o" was
 interpreted as the arg to "-v", and then "result3.m1v" was interpreted
 as the *input* file --- which was certainly not a YUV4MPEG2 stream, even
 if it did exist.)

(This doesn't explain the original problem, but maybe the debugging will be
 a little more productive.)
-matt m.