Hallo

> Thank you very much for mjpegtools and for making them open source.  Your
> tools are the only open source tools that I've seen that are capable of
> creating MPEG2 video for DVD's.  There may be others, but I haven't seen
> them.
>
> I did have a question about mpeg2enc though.  It seems that mpeg2enc is
> EXTREMELY slow (for me) relative to other MPEG2 encoders that I've tried
> (in Microsoft Windows I'm ashamed to say).  I use mplayer/mencoder to do
> DiVX encoding with the lavc codec and it seems very fast.  Is there
> something that I'm not doing to make my encoding so slow?  The command
> that I'm using for the encoding is
That was "problem" was dicussed alreaddy many times in the mjpeg-users
mailinglist.
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=2356)

And search for "performance"

That messages might be the most interresting:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6435884

> cat stream.yuv \
> | yuvscaler -n n -M BICUBIC -O SIZE_720x480 \
> | mpeg2enc -a 1 -n n-F 4 -4 1 -2 1 -B 192 -s -f 8 -o video.m2v
>
> It doesn't appear that the scaling (via yuvscaler) takes nearly as long as
> the actual encoding.  I'm wondering if there are optimizations (hardware,
> etc.) that I can perform to speed up my encoding.  It seems that now it
> take around 2 minutes to encode a 20 second clip.  I have an AMD Athlon
> 1900+ with 512 MB RAM.  The same DiVX encoding with mencoder and the lavc
> codec takes me around 10 seconds.  This seems very odd.
yuvscaler should need less computing power, except you want really good
quality and use BICUBIC. And you use the mpeg2enc -4 1 -2 1

Just drop the -M BICUBIC, -4 1 -2 1, and it will go faster.

BTW: Does mencoder also use bicubic scaling algorithm for scaling the
pictures ?

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]