>       Aside from the number of pixels needing to be at least even (and a
>       multiple of 16 - neither of criteria 1365 meets ;)) you're going to
>       have a bunch of pixels hanging off the edge of the screen I think
>       since 1365's a lot larger than 1024

I think you're misunderstanding me.   I am _designing_ on 1365, then
_scaling_ to 1024, which will then be encoding as a 16:9 frame.  This will
make everything look tall w/ a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1, but, if my
calculations are correct, widen it appropriately on this strange output
device.

>       Are you sure the screen isn't one of the WXGA variety which has
>       a 16:9 physical size of 1280x768?   I've seen monitors that have that
>       size.

Nope, it has strangely-sized pixels, and it's resolution is 1024x768.  It
appears that in this case the _pixels_ are 4:3 (on monitors, the _display_
is 4:3, but the pixels are 1:1).

>       With 4:3 physical dimensions the only way I know of to display a
>       16:9 movie is to letter box it.   Generate the movie frames at

Yes, but this has a 16:9 dimensions.

>       Encode as generic MPEG2 using -f 3 (NOT DVD's -f 8).   It will probably
>       be necessary to specify "-V 224" and the bitrate ('-b') and a couple
>       other parameters (that's because the generic profiles do not have
>       the builtin defaults that DVD/VCD formats have).

Thanks!  That's very helpful.

This is a very wierd screen, which, unfortunately, we don't have physical
access to (it's located in a different city, and the customer didn't
provide a test box :[ ).

Thanks!

Jon