On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Al Bogner wrote:

> Am Montag, 8. Dezember 2003 01:01 schrieb Steven M. Schultz:
>
> >     No!   mpeg2enc creates variable length GOPs by default.  If you want
> >     closed ones use "-c".  If you want fixed size GOPs then set -g and
> > -G to the same value ("-g 15 -G 15").

        I left out a word by accident - should have said "variable length
        open GOPs".

> I used "-g 15 -G 15" and thought this is closed GOP because -g and -G
> have the same size. So I have to use "-c -g 15 -G 15" if I would like to

        GOPs can be fixed size but still "open" because there can be
        (B frame) references from one GOP into the next.

> cut the encoded m2v-file later?

        Yes, either add the '-c' to force all GOPs to be self-contained (no
        references outside themself) OR use '-R 0' and turn off B frames.
        I have not tried it myself but it was mentioned to me that GOPChop
        is much happier with streams that do not use B frames.