Hi Matti,

> Thanks for the correction. So mplex has VBV buffer set correctly at
> 230 kB for standalone DVD players, right?

Again: there are *two* video buffer size parameters.

1. vbv_buffer_size.  A 'left over' in the sequence headers  from MPEG-1 that
just has to be filled in more or less any reasonable value.  All encoders I
know ignored it.

2. The video decoder buffer size (video STD_buffer).  This matters as it
controls how much memory the encoder assumes the decoder has to smoothe
dataflow and so controls bit allocation.   This is what you set with -V.

The vbv_buffer_size code mpeg2enc sticks into the headers is (almost always)
112 (coding for 224KB).

> BTW, my interest in VBV buffer size for XSVCD started when I noticed
> that mpeg2enc failed with the default -V 46 with -f 5 so at first

I'm pretty sure the default video buffer size for -f 5 was 230KB for quite a
while now.

> FWIW, I once experimented with a 1000 kB buffer and this got the
> audio seriously out of sync with video in many places and the video
> also stuttered on my Pioneer 444 DVD player.

Most players have a bit more buffering than the official 230K minimum but
1000KB would definately not be available. For software players though the
sky's the limit...

        Andrew