On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Barry Roberts wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 04:53:54PM -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> >     Right - that's because the encoded frame size of a standard SVCD
> >     is 480x480.   Legal sizes for DVDs are 720x480, 704x480, 352x480
> >     MPEG-2, and 352x240 MPEG-1
>
> Ok, so much for SVCD's, but my VCD's are 352x250 MPEG-1.  Can I
> transfer those to DVD without re-encoding?

        352x240 MPEG-1 should work.   You'll need to demux and then run
        "mplex -f 8 ..." to get the .mpg file into the correct format but
        re-encoding won't' be necessary.    The quality of course won't
        take advantage of the DVD format's capability but it should work
        (a LOT of useful information about the DVD format can be found
        at http://www.dvddemystified.com - the online FAQ is an extremely
        useful resource as is James Taylor's book).