I have Verbatim DataLifePlus - CD-R - 700 MB - 80min media.

Usually, if I use vcdimager to make a bin/cue image from, say 10 MPG1 files totalling
upto 800MB, I can burn the bin/cue image just fine.

But yesterday I created a bin/cue image from 35 MPEG1 files totalling 760MB and the
bin file created was almost 900MB! So cdrdao failed to write it to the disc.

What is the relation between size of the mpegs, number of mpegs and the final bin/cue
image that vcdimager generates?

In other words, if I have a 10MB MPG1 file, will my bin/cue image also be close to
10MB?

What is the maximum size AND number of MPG1 files that I can successfully fit on the
CD-R? Does this change depending on the bitrate I use to encode the mpg1 file? (yes,
my hardware player supports XVCDs so I usually bump up/down the bitrate as
appropriate)

I posted this question on vcdhelp.com forums and got the following answer:

--x---
The problem of "bloating" is almost certainly because your MPEG files weren't
multiplexed in the way that VCDImager wants them. This leads it to "autopad" the MPEG
file (i.e., putting in null data to fit it into the right sectors) and can inflate the
size of the file to quite a large degree.

The way to fix this is to make sure that your MPEG files are appropriately multiplexed
before using VCDImager (or other programs that use VCDImager like VCDEasy).

You can do this with TMPGEnc.

Go to Files --> MPEG Tools --> Simple Multiplex.

Put in your original MPEG file. Change the setting to "MPEG-1 Video CD" (for VCD
compliant MPEG-1 files) or "MPEG-1 Video CD (non-standard)" if you are making an XVCD.

Then, save it to a new file.
---x---

Question for you guys: Is mplex doing something wrong when muxing the audio/video that
makes vcdimager pad the files? What does TMPGEnc do that mjpegtools cannot?

Thanks