On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > Ok. I noticed that for some chapters on the DVD, the average bitrate
> > > reported by mplex was almost 50% of the max bitrate! What does this
>
> Could you please comment on this? If the avg is 50% of the max, does it
> mean that I can afford to specify a lower -q and still get the same quality?

        Yes - or rather you can lower the -q setting and get better quality.

> What about filesize?

        Higher bitrate equates to more bits, more bits mean larger files.

> >     mplayer dvd://titleset [-chapter N-M] -dumpstream -dumpfile foo.vob
>
> Is this VOB the same as that generated by transcode's tcextract, et. al?

        Don't know.   Probably the same.

> Um. This reader is very new to all this. Can you explain how to get the audio from
> the vob?

        vstrip is what I use for manipulating DVD type files.

                http://www.maven.de/

        Normally VOB files are 1GB max, so to handle larger VOB-like files
        I changed the CFLAGS in the Makefile to be:

CFLAGS := -W -Wall -O2 -D__UNIX__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

> > mpeg2dec -s -o pgmpipe foo.vob | \
> >      pgmtoy4m -i t -a 10:11 -r 30000:1001 | \
> >      y4mshift -M | \
> >      y4mscaler -v 0 -S option=sinc:8 -O preset=CVD | \
> >      yuvdenoise -c 0 -l 2 -S 0 | \
> >      yuvmedianfilter -T 0 | \
> >      bfr -b 10m | \
>
> What is bfr? Its not on my system (RH9)

        Buffering program.     Used to make sure that the encoder has some
        data to work on while earlier stages of the pipeline are working.

        http://freshmeat.net/projects/buffer/?topic_id=861

        The site with the bfr program appears to be down or its web server
        is having difficulty.   Search around - perhaps there's a copy of
        bfr floating around the Net somehwere else.

> >      mpeg2enc -M 2 -Q 1.0 -X 200 -f 4 -q 9 -E -10 -K kvcd -R 0 -4 2 -2 1
> > -o $N-cvd.m2v
>
> What is the -X parameter? Its not in mpeg2enc --help

        It's in mine immediately after the -Q description:

--quant-reduction-max-var|-X num
    Luma variance below which quantisation boost (-Q) is used
    [0.0 .. 2500.0](default: 0.0)

        There's a new release candidate coming out on Monday - the documentation
        has been improved.