On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Karl and Tanya Pizzolatto wrote:

> latest versions of everything:

        Including the documentation and mailing list archive search? :-)

> libmovtar-0.1.3
> mjpegtools-1.6.1.92

        libmovtar is still up for download?  Hmmm, that needs to be either
        removed or a notice saying "obsolete, unmaintained, and not used
        by mjpegtools any longer" posted next to it.

> lavrec -fm -iN -t5 /tmp/test.avi

        The first inkling that wouldn't work would have been in the
        ./configure summary:

 MJPEG tools 1.6.1.93 build configuration :

    - X86 Optimizations:
      - MMX/3DNow!/SSE enabled      : true
      - cmov support enabled        : true

* NOTE:                                                                    *
*   The resultant binaries will ***NOT*** run on a K6 or Pentium CPU       *
    - video4linux recording/playback: true
    - software MJPEG playback       : true
    - MPEG Z/Alpha                  : false
    - Quicktime playback/recording  : true
    - PNG input support             : true
    - AVI MJPEG playback/recording  : true (always)
    - libDV (digital video) support : true
    - libDV PAL YV12 read support   : false
    - Gtk+ support for glav         : true

        No movtar mentioned.   I do have libquicktime installed on the
        system and that (plus libdv) were both detected correctly.

> But there is no longer a -fm option to record in movtar format.

        Right - movtar was removed some time ago (a couple release
        candidates ago - I'd have to check the "cvs log"s to find the
        actual date the removal happened).  Even the creator/author/maintainer
        of movtar didn't care to see it continue on.  This is the first/only
        report of an attempt to use it.

> How do I record in movtar format?

        Use an old 1.6.0 version I suppose.   For large file support
        quicktime using libquicktime is the only supported method I know
        of for lavrec.   Other methods involve using DV over IEEE1394 and
        raw DV files which have no size limit (well, other than what 'df'
        shows ;)).