Hi!

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Lance F. Squire wrote:

> I've been using my Trusty (Ha...) BUZ card since it came out. I even got
> it to work on an AMD/Bois combination everyone said it wouldn't.
>
> However, My recent upgrade seems to have made it unusable...except for
> the SCSI controller...
>
> So, my question is, What should I replace it with?

        I'm a bit confused if you're talking about the SCSI card or the BUZ
        card :)

> I would like something that also included a SCSI controller. For a one
> piece replacement.

        Video card with a SCSI controller?   Hmmm, never heard of such a
        beast.

> I do prefer cards that work in 720 rather that 640.

        Which means steering clear of the cheap TV tuner capture cards
        (actually the Brooktree 8x8 can do CCIR-601 format but the linux
        drivers do not make that available from what I've seen).

> Most of all, Bang for the $! You know that point where if you spend less
> you really start losing features, but more dosen't really add alot.

        It's been a while since I've had a chance to make my Canopus pitch :)

        Best bang for the $ in my opinion is a $40 (or less) IEEE1394 card
        and a Canopus ADVC-100 (analog to DV converter) for $250 or so.
        There are cheaper units out there (the Datavideo was mentioned as
        working well) but A/V sync and conversion quality vary - the Canopus
        has consistently been mentioned as being the best consumer unit around.

        If your motherboard has an onboard IEEE1394 port then you don't need
        an addin card.

> If you're woundering, the upgrade is an AMD64 on an ASUS KV8 board. If I
> can get it to work on that, that would really save me $. ;)

        Hmmm, I hope VIA has gotten better at making chipsets than they were
        years ago (once bitten, twice shy).    I've never heard of any
        motherboard having issues with a IEEE1394 card.  Another nice
        thing about having one of those cards installed is that you can use
        the external firewire discs.