> Of couse you could use a higer (till 4) quality factor. But did the
> original video had 5000kBit average bitrate or maximal bitrate ?

I'm not sure how to tell - I got the 5000 from dvdinfo.exe (windows
program), from memory.

> You loose a bit quality because of the deinterlacing, but as long yuvfps
> is only coying frames it is a reliable way to get a smoth picture.

So it's quality or smoothness, but not both :(

I don't quite understand why quality is lost from de-interlacing.

> If you encode at 24FPS you should add the -p|--3-2-pulldown, so the
> player does a 3:2 pulldown.

I'll stick with 30fps - not sure what my player does with a 24fps rate,
since I believe it doesn't have 3:2 pulldown capability.

I'll test it out when I get a chance, meanwhile I have a fully converted
DVD to watch (well actually it's for my daughter to watch since she got
the DVD for her birthday 8 months ago but hasn't been able to watch it).

> There the -q option might help.

I'll try going down to -q 4 too.

> auf hoffentlich bald,
>
> Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter