Hello List,

Thanks to Steven I was able to compile the CVS version of the mjpeg tools
and create my first DVD type movie. (If you want to call it that.)  The video
images look great and play according to the creation.  But my DVD player
is experiencing sound drop outs when played.  The drop outs are repeatable
on each playback in the same locations.

The orignal sound file I know is OK and I have played back the first 30
minutes of the mpeg Layer II audio file using mpg321 and that is OK.  I have
not found a program that will attempt to play the mplex'ed output file directly
though.  So I have not been able to verify the last operation of mjpeg tools.
Xine would attempt it but my system is not able to perform well enough I
guess to handle the video and audio.  The movie plays erratic and there is
no audio at all.   My system is only a P-III-1 GHz CPU.  I have
been able to play back the first 15 minutes though with Ogle and then it
chokes and spits out a lot errors on the VOB file and terminates.
Ogle does not want to play the mpeg video file at all though.  Some of the
messages that Ogle reports are below.

The messages were from playing the VOB file directly from my hard disk.  I did
verify the checksum of the VOB file on the hard disk and the DVD to check if it
was bad burn to start with.  In fact I burned it twice, once on a DVD+RW and then
on a DVD-R both with the same results in my DVD player.

The final stage of mastering the DVD was created using dvdauthor.  The sequence
has no titles or menus or anything.  Insert it and it just starts playing.  It is a 1
GByte
file that should play for 1.5 hours, NTSC format.  The video images are just still
photographs that I scanned and converted to jpeg and then sequenced.  The audio
was a 48KHz, 16 bit stereo that I had on my system that was digitized awhile back
from a cassette tape.

Can anybody recommend a program to play the multiplexed output of the audio
and video?  I used the -f 8 format specifications.  As I understand it, this format
includes the spaces for dvdauthor to work with.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what might be causing the sound drop outs would
be great.  The final DVD is about 98% playable.  At present the problem appears to
be in mplex or dvdauthor operations, but I am unable discern at the present time.

Output from Ogle on the trouble spots:

ERROR[ogle_audio]: Unhandled stream_id: e0
##*** skipped blocks in I-picture
*** invalid macroblock type
*** skipped blocks in I-picture
*** skipped blocks in I-picture
(vlc) invalid huffman code 0x0 in vlc_get_block_coeff()
(vlc) invalid huffman code 0x0 in vlc_get_block_coeff()
#*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
SNDCTL_DSP_GETCHANNELMASK: Unknown error 515
##############ERROR[ogle_audio]: Unhandled stream_id: e0
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
** cbp = 0, shall not be used with 4:2:0 chrominance
*** invalid macroblock type
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
** cbp = 0, shall not be used with 4:2:0 chrominance
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
*** invalid macroblock type
*** invalid macroblock type
*** invalid macroblock type
** cbp = 0, shall not be used with 4:2:0 chrominance
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
** cbp = 0, shall not be used with 4:2:0 chrominance
*mai error
*** invalid macroblock type
WARNING[ogle_mpeg_vs]: ** temporal reference in I or P picture incorrect
WARNING[ogle_mpeg_vs]: ** temporal reference skipped
[...]
#msg close FIX
bash-2.05a#

Perhaps someone might be able to identify if these errors would be mplex
related or dvdauthor related.

Thank you for all your help,
James