Hi.

I want to scale an AVI movie with frame size 544x304 and
aspect ratio 4:3 using y4mscaler, in order to produce a
SVCD. Playing the movie with mplayer:

$ mplayer movie.avi

without telling the aspect ratio, gives a flattened image
where everything looks fatter. Adding the option
"-aspect 4:3" gives the correct image.

I am not able to obtain an output from y4mscaler with the
correct aspect ratio (without top and bottom black borders).

I have tried both transcode and mplayer to obtain a
YUV4MPEG stream from the input file. I have used a
named pipe to pass this stream to y4mscaler.

# mkfifo stream.yuv

With transcode:

$ transcode -V -i movie.avi -y yuv4mpeg,null -o stream.yuv \
    --import_asr 2 --export_asr 2 &

Or with mplayer:

$ mplayer movie.avi -noframedrop -vo yuv4mpeg -nosound -aspect 4:3 &

Scaling and encoding:

$ cat stream.yuv |
  y4mscaler -v 1 -I norm=ntsc -I sar=4:3 -O preset=svcd -O sar=4:3 \
    -S option=sinc:8 |
  mpeg2enc -v 0 -I 0 -s -f 5 -V 230 -S 804 -a 2 -F 1 -n n \
    -4 2 -2 1 -b 2800 -B 3100 -q 5 -K hi-res -R 0 -E -4 \
    -o movie.m2v

I have tried some variations on the "sar" options of
y4mscaler, using the values "ntsc", "1:1" and "4:3".

I have put the a sample of the movie at
http://uber.com.br/romildo/misc/movie.avi
in case someone wants to take a look and
help me to solve this problem.

Regards

Romildo