On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:55:49PM -0600, George Kola wrote:
> Hi,
>   I would like to try Distributed encoding of DV to MPEG1,2 &4
> using some 10+ machines. I realize that I need some utility to
> split the DV, encode the pieces and finally merge them together.
> Does anybody know of any utilites to accomplish that ?. Are there
> any pitfalls in doing that or any problems that I may run-into ?.

It depends on what you plan to be a part of your "encoding".  If you
are just going straight from captured DV into mpeg2enc without any
denoising or scaling, then Stephen's suggestion of multiple parallel
runs is best.

But, if you plan to run denoise, median, y4mspatial, y4mscaler, etc.
before mpeg2enc, then something like netpipes
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/netpipes/) will allow you to do this:

Machine 1: dv to yuv -> machine 2
Machine 2: yuvdenoise -> machine 3
Machine 3: yuvmedian -> machine 4
Machine 4: y4mscaler -> machine 5
Machien 5: mpeg2enc

Depending on frame sizes and options, denoise and/or median can often
consume as much or more cpu time than mpeg2enc itself, so having them
running on machines other than the one running mpeg2enc will speed
things up overall.

If you have 10 total machines, you could still have two of the above
pipelines running in parallel, with each task having it's own machine
to run upon.