On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:10:18PM +0100, Maarten de Boer wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> > You did not say which version of mpeg2enc you are running.  Is it the
>
> Yes, sorry, I am not in front of my home machine, where I did all the
> encoding... I use a fairly recent (about one or two weeks) CVS checkout.

Then that would have both the new default of -R 0 as well as the
--no-dualprime-mpeg2 (I think you found it :) ) switch.

> > some B frames (and turning off DPME), or to use the "no DPME" switch
> > if you are running the absolute latest CVS (search the archives for
> > the name, it was posted in the last month or so).
>
> --no-dualprime-mpeg2
> I suppose?

Sounds right.

> You say use -R [1/2] _or_ use --no-dualprime-mpeg2
> Does that mean that either one would have the some effect, when it
> comes to possible player compatibility?

Both achieve turning off DPME, but in two different ways.  The mpeg
encoding spec that mpeg2enc follows excludes use of DPME if B frames
are being encoded.  So encoding B frames implicitly also turns off
DPME.

The special switch provides a way to disable DPME, while still
allowing you to encode without B frames.

Either switch should (if DPME is the problem) fix things.  Setting -R
to 1 or 2 will likely encode more slowly than -R 0 and
--no-dualprime-mpeg2.  And there may be differences in the resultant
file sizes as well.