I've used mpeg2enc for ages now, and I use -f 1 to set VCD format, as per the
help:

--format-f fmt
    Set pre-defined mux format fmt.
    [0 = Generic MPEG1, 1 = standard VCD, 2 = VCD,
     3 = Generic MPEG2, 4 = standard SVCD, 5 = user SVCD,
     6 = VCD Stills sequences, 7 = SVCD Stills sequences, 8 = DVD]

This has always made sense and I've never really thought about it. Somewhere
in my mind I associated this with an operation which scales the image to VCD
size. Only today, it finally dawned on me that that /isn't/ what it does. I
plugged in a 512 x 384 video, and that's what came out!

So, for curiousity's sake, what does do? What is a "pre-defined mux format"?