On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:57:43AM -0700, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Steven Ellis wrote:
>
> > 1. Can't really build a PVR around this, which is part of the
> > long term goal.
>
> You most certainly can.  Might be an extra (S-Video or composite)
> cable or two involved but that shouldn't be an insurmountable
> problem.
>
> > Wonder if anyone has played with realtime capture to DV from an
> > analog card?

> The main drawback of the PVR cards that go directly to MPEG-2 is
> that they don't give you a chance to run the data thru any filters
> to clean the picture up - and VHS sources are always (that I've
> seen) in dire need of filtering.

Quite true, assuming of course that one is duping vhs tapes off to
DVD.  But, the posters implied usage is PVR, which implies record /
watch / throwaway (most of the time) functionality.  And for that,
the PVR cards excell, because there's no encoding effort after the
fact.  A ready to watch mpeg is saved out to disk, no fuss, no muss.
And so far in my experience, sourcing signals from analog cable, my
PVR250 card produces equally as good, if not better, picture quality
compared to the best I can achieve from my DC10+'s & mpeg2enc, in
exactly the amount of time needed to capture the video in the first
place.  That's hard to beat for the normal PVR usage model.