On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Ray Cole wrote:
>
> > I had this issue with my bt card.  The video tape looked just fine on TV,
> > but when I captured it would studder - it was duplicating frames, sometimes
> > just a single field (which was really weird).  The bttv module has a
> > 'vcr_hack' option that eliminated this problem.  I don't know if something
> > similar is going on with the lml33 or not.  The issue as I recall is the
> > signal is a bit distorted.  A TV can compensate for it.  The capture card
> > tries, but by the time it realizes it didn't get the sync signal it is ...
>
> > d me to record a number of video tapes flawlessly that previously were very
> > problematic to record.
>
>       Sounds like what you need is either a TBC or one of those "image
>       stabilizer" units.   Yes, I had similar issues with the Bt8x8 card
>       a few years ago - some of the more warn/junkier tapes caused the
>       card to "lose it".  Even when it didn't lose it the constant jitter
>       caused the mpeg encoding to see the constant motion and waste a lot
>       of bits encoding the "motion".
>
>       My solution then was to get the Sima SCC (not sure if that model is
>       made now that the SCC-2 is out) and put it inline between the VCR
>       and the capture device.  Did absolute wonders to stabilize the picture,
>       and on some of the really bad/faded tapes the color correction
>       capability was quite useful - could boost the chroma, adjust the
>       contrast, sharpness, hue, etc.   As a pleasant side effect it also
>       strips out the Macrovision copy junk which can also confuse capture
>       cards.
>
>       The Sima SCC-2 (and other similar devices can be found at) are made
>       by Sima Corp:
>
>                       http://www.simacorp.com/
>
>       The units are sold at a number of places online (BH Photo for example).
>
>       An inexpensive  single channel TBC runs about $280 or so and a dual
>       channel one (for genlocking two devices) about $450 - i think (the
>       catalog is at the other end of the house and I'm lazy at the moment ;)).
>
>       Good Luck!
>
>       Cheers,
>       Steven Schultz

I purchased the SCC-2 from www.bhphotovideo.com for $160
It's done a great job of stabilizing the picture
I still get "**ERROR: [lavrec] Error syncing on a buffer: Timer expired" occasionally
I captured about 80 minutes of video in 17 files that I spliced together
There is still a problem of the picture being "shaky" or "jittery"
I have 3 VCR's and each one produces different results
Would someone stick their neck out and recommend a good quality VCR

Thanks
Richard Ray