hi!

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Jérémie Knuesel wrote:

> How can I skip the first frame in a yuv stream?

        I do not know of an existing program to do that.  It would be
        easy to write something (using the YUV4MPEG2 API routines) though.

        Caution: tossing out a frame of video may cause a slight A/V sync
          problem unless you also delete the corresponding audio.

> I pipe the data from mplayer through y4mscaler to mpeg2enc. The problem
> is that mplayer often puts a plain green frame at the beginning of the
> stream. How can I skip it in the encoding?

        0,0,0 in the Y'CbCr color space is a bright green.   It sounds like
        mplayer is outputting a frame of all 0.

        I thought that problem had been fixed in MPlayer quite a while ago.
        Are you running the latest CVS version or an older version of MPlayer?

        If MPlayer is emitting a frame of 0s then that's a bug and really
        needs to be fixed in MPlayer.

> Completely unrelated: I see that I have a "yuv4mpeg" program in
> /usr/bin... what does it do?

       A simple progam that's quite useful when dealing with raw/headerless data
       from programs such as ffmpeg or fxtv.

        yuv4mpeg is a way to add the YUV4MPEG2 header (rate, height, width,
        sample aspect, chroma subsampling) to raw "YUV" data.

        y4mtoyuv is the reverse - it will take a YUV4MPEG2 stream and remove
        the YUV4MPEG2 header and frame markers.   That's useful for programs
        that understand "YUV" (most commonly 4:2:0) but not YUV4MPEG2.