Hallo

> I try to re-encode a mpeg using mpeg2enc with:
>
> mkfifo stream.yuv
> mplayer movie.m2v -vo yuv4mpeg:interlaced_bf &
> cat stream.yuv | mpeg2enc -q 3 -b 8500 -f 8 -o movie_new.m2v
>
> If I now play the resulting mpeg with mplayer there are some parts of the
> picture where repeatedly blocks appear that just don't look right (sorry,
> I don't know how to put it better). From the frequency of their
> appearance I would assume that they disappear with each GOP frame.
>
> What happens here and what can I do against it?
I don't know what exactly happen but you can use filters (like
yuvdenoise and yuvmedianfilter)

Have you tried lowering the quality factor to 4/5. Maybe the -4/-1
otpions help a bit.
THe -N (vaules between: 0.7 - 1.0) and -E (-10, 10) and -D (10, -10)
options with help much more.

> PS: Oh, and is there a better way to convert a mpeg into a yuv stream
> than using mplayer?
You can use mpeg2dec.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter