On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Anne Wilson wrote:

> >     and is it at a 48000 sampling
> >     rate (which is required for DVD)?  I think mp2enc will automatically
> >     downsample to 44100 unless told otherwise - and 44100 is not valid
> >     for a DVD.
> >
> That looks like it -
>
>  INFO: [mplex] MPEG AUDIO STREAM: c0
>    INFO: [mplex] Audio version  : 1.0
>    INFO: [mplex] Layer          :        2
>    INFO: [mplex] CRC checksums  :       no
>    INFO: [mplex] Bit rate       :    28672 bytes/sec (224 kbit/sec)
>    INFO: [mplex] Frequency      :     44100 Hz
>    INFO: [mplex] Mode           :        0 stereo
>
> The man page for mpeg2enc gives a huge number of parameters, but none look to
> be relevant, unless just setting -f 8 takes care of it?

        It's not mpeg2enc (or mplex) that is encoding the audio.

        I believe you used 'mp2enc' to encode the audio - you may have
        either specified "mp2enc -V ..." or simply defaulted the sampling rate
        (and the default is 44100).  The default is a carryover from the
        VCD/SVCD era.  That generates VCD compatible audio which is not
        suitable for DVD use.  What you really needed was "-r 48000" so
        that mp2enc would encode at the 48000 sampling rate.  Perhaps today
        the default sampling rate in mp2enc should be changed now that DVD
        creation has become more popular.