Hi -

> lav2yuv coda_sound.avi | yuvscaler -O DVD | yuvdenoise | mpeg2enc -f 9 -b 4500
> - -q 7 -4 1 -2 1 -o coda.m2v
>
> which I changed to
>
> lav2yuv coda_sound.avi | yuvscaler -O DVD | yuvdenoise | mpeg2enc -f 8 -q 7 -o
> coda.m2v
>
> but the result is still a stuttering file.  Do I need a -b setting back in?

        No, the only difference that the '-b' makes is to set the bitrate -
        without it mpeg2enc is using 7500 as the default bitrate.

> Steven, the mp2 file plays fine in any player you give it.  It's only when
> it's mplexed into an mpg that there is a problem.  When I created the same
> file in SVCD format it played well there, too.

        I'm running out of ideas to try.  If the cpu isn't fast enough to
        do both the video and audio decoding that might be the problem.  Just
        playing a .mp2 file with an audio player doesn't have the timing
        requirements that playing synchronized audio + video has.

        Stuttering/shaking video is a symptom of the field order being
        incorrect - but can that also affect the audio?  I didn't think it
        had an effect on the audio playing.   Sounds like the movie
        player is having to cut short the playing of parts of the audio because
        it's time to start the next portion of movie - stopping/starting the
        audio like that would be a stuttering effect.  And at higher video
        (DVD) bitrates the effect would be more likely to happen than at
        the lower (SVCD) bitrate.  Almost sounds like the system isn't fast
        enough (for whatever reason) to play more than ~2500kbit/sec video
        and audio in sync.  At 4500 and higher the video decoding is taking
        more cpu time and throwing the audio timing off.