Hi Anne,

> it plays.  One problem, though.  By now I don't have the original file, and
> I'm pretty confused about which of the myriad commands I've tried is the one
> to give me a clean, basic DVD write.  Could you please remind me?  Is it just
> lav2yuv coda.eli | yuvscaler -O DVD | yuvdenoise | mpeg2enc -f 8 -q 7 -4 1 -2
> 1 -o coda.m2v

Looks okay, except that I would use -4 2 -2 1 instead of -4 1 -2 1. Also
if the original coda.eli is 720x576, you do not need yuvscaler[*] and for
the
test run you can leave out yuvdenoise -- keep it simple.

> then
> mplex -f 8 coda.mp2 coda.m2v -o filename.mpg ?

Yes.

> Is there any way of checking whether I have got both files in the correct
> format before mplexing?  Maybe I should build them both again to be sure.

The mplex output contains a number of parameters that you can check  --
frame size (720x576), fps (25), number of video pictures (fps x length of
the video in seconds), audio sampling frequency and mode (48000 Hz,
stereo), audio bitrate (224000/8 = 28600bytes/sec) audio stream length
(approx. = bitrate in bytes x length in seconds), average and peak
bitrates of the mplexed stream (should be less than 10.08 Mbps).
Finally make sure  mplex completes without any errors, especially
buffer under-runs. The o/p you posted in the morning looked
fine in all these respects.

Selva

[*] The last time I used yuvscaler it did not support -O DVD,
but I haven't touched it after y4mscaler appeared. Make sure
it generates 720x576 frames for PAL.