On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Selva Nair wrote:
>
> > Agreed, if its sampling at 14.75Mhz no scaling is needed, only a 1
> > pixel padding.
>
>       Oops - slight misunderstanding there.  For PAL if it was sampling at
>       13.5MHz there would be no need for scaling because the card would be

Oh no, in this context I was not referring to scaling required to burn
dvds, but to scaling (and padding) during capture -- I thought we were
debating on my statement that I do not like cards that _scale_ from
non-square to square pixels to which you pointed out that DC10 or its
driver does not _scale_ but simply sample at 14.75MHz to generate square
pixels.

In the first place I should have written that as I prefer cards that
sample at 13.5MHz as my destination is almost always dvds and that would
have avoided all this confusion.

Of course, the 14.75MHz sampled "square-pixel" PAL sources have to be
appropriately scaled (with padding/clipping as necessary) to a valid dvd
frame size before encoding to dvds.

Selva