On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I've just had a message from the dvdauthor list, and wonder if there's a
> connection.

        And I just posted a reply back to that list ;)  Should be wandering
        thru to your inbox any minute now.

> <quote>
> stuttering sound. I was using Kino->dvdauthor->k3b to DVD -r & +r & +rw. From
> memory using this combination and accepting kino's default mpeg2enc, mpegenc
> and mplex settings for DVD I had no problems.
>
> When I upped the bitrate of mpeg2enc to 7500 & 8000 I got stuttering sound

        7500 is the default for mpeg2enc - what is Kino using for its default?

> So I guess check the final bitrate.

        Gee - that sounds familiar :)

        Good advice.

> I haven't as yet established whether high quality comes at the cost of high
> bitrates or whether reasonable bitrates and high quality can be achieved

        I had to reread that a couple times to figure out if it was a joke or
        not.  Basically yes - you want more detail, fewer blocks, etc then
        more bits are required.

> I'm pretty sure I used the default for mpeg2enc, but perhaps I should try
> setting it lower?  What do you think?  Shall I try it in the morning?

        If a player can't handle the default 7500 rate that mpeg2enc generates
        then I just have the feeling that something's awry with the player.
        One thing it might be is that while a set top box can handle a max
        rate (10.08Mb/s) commercial DVD it may have trouble with recordable
        or rewriteable media at high rates due to the lower reflectivity of
        the media.