I tried recompiling my kernel without pre-emption, but it made no difference.
I've left it off for the time being. I tried recompiling the mjpegtools, and
that made no difference. I've had the mjpegtools working fine on this machine
previously using the OSS, as opposed to ALSA which it now uses, so I tried
pulling ALSA out and putting the deprecated OSS drivers back in. I got into
kernel module dependency hell, so I backed out of that route. I presume it
shouldn't make any difference.

> So have you tried to record from the SB16 with some other applications
> like arecord ?

I have now, and I can't get a peep out of anything! 'arecord' and xawtv's
'record' utility run OK, and I can hear the sound via the line-in as it's
recording, but playing back the resultant WAV file results in silence. I
can't get anything from the microphone input either. That used to work.

> Maybe you can try to use the read mode.

Tried that, no difference.

> To make soure that the sound card does not make problems please also try
> to record without sound (-a 0) and tell us that if lavrec still behaves
> strange.

You're spot on here: using -a 0 stops the lavrec capture getting upset. The
only drawback is, well, no sound!

I did find something interesting though: the first lavrec capture I do after a
reboot works correctly. The sound doesn't come out with the pulsing and the
video doesn't stop recording. I've tried it several times with an
'rcalsasound restart' in between and each time it works fine. The first time
I tried a second capture without resetting the sound system: crackle,
crackle, crackle...

<A bit later...> In fact, the problem seems to be with glav. I reset the sound
system and recorded several clips, one after the other with no resets. I then
play them back using glav and they're all perfect. I record one more and it
comes out with crackles. I reset the sound system and play it again - it
still crackles.

I appears that glav exits leaving the sound system in a state where lavrec
records sound incorrectly until the sound hardware is reset. Is that
possible?