On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Adam Gautier wrote:

> > Ok, "generic MPEG-1" at a 1Mb/s rate.  That does seem a bit low
> > for 800x600.
>
> Should I raise it?

        Well, consider that "VCD" resolution (352x240) typically uses about
        1100 I'd think that 800x600 would need a few more bits to look good :)

> >     mplex -f 0 -r 1200 -o 3mintest.mpg final.m1v final.mp3
> >
> I tried both 1200 and 1300 no luck...
>
> The bit rate for  the mp3 is interesting becuase I thought it was rendered
> as 256(Kbs), Thoughts?

        Not really ;)

        How was the MP3 file created (if you already mentioned that then I
        forgot ;)).  While MPEG-1 video and "MP3" audio is an unusual
        combination it should work for playback on a computer.

        The other very interesting thing which I didn't catch at first is the
        "Vbv buffer size":

> $ mplex -f 0 -r 1300 -o 3mintest.mpg final.m1v final.mp3
>    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.6.2 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
> INFO: [mplex] File final.m1v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
>    INFO: [mplex] File final.mp3 looks like an MPEG Audio stream.
>    INFO: [mplex] Found 1 audio streams and 1 video streams
>    INFO: [mplex] Selecting generic MPEG1 output profile
>    INFO: [mplex] Multiplexing video program stream!
>    INFO: [mplex] Scanning for header info: Video stream e0 (final.m1v)
> INFO: [mplex] VIDEO STREAM: e0
>    INFO: [mplex] Frame width     : 800
>    INFO: [mplex] Frame height    : 600
>    INFO: [mplex] Aspect ratio    : 1:0.6735
>    INFO: [mplex] Picture rate    : b reserved
>    INFO: [mplex] Bit rate        : 1000000 bits/sec
>    INFO: [mplex] Vbv buffer size : 1222656 bytes

        My goodness that's HUGE!  Even HDTV (~14Mb/s) only needs 488KB but
        here we have a supposedly 1Mb/s stream that mplex says needs over
        a megabyte!

        Hmmm - the other very interesting thing is the "Picture rate".  What
        kind of frame rate is "b reserved"?

        mplex is getting some weird (probably very high) frame rate which is
        confusing/breaking the other calculations that go into multiplexing
        a stream.

        It's beginning to look like the video stream is bogus somehow.

        I have no idea what cinelerra (sp) is doing for the encoding - but it
        appears to be causing a really strange stream to be output.