Hi,

> In cinelerra I render seperate mpeg2 audio/video files
> to be joined with 'mplex -f 8'
>
> tcprobe reports the resulting .m2v file from cinelerra
> as 29.97 fps.  both of these files are fine as far as
> I can tell.
>
> the weird part is:
>
> if I then multiplex the audio and the video stream
> together with either 'mplex -f 8' or 'tcmplex' and run
> tcprobe on the .mpg file generated (to be burned to
> DVD), it is reported as 23.97fps!

What does mplex report what it thinks the streams are?

The whole thing sounds like a 3:2 pull-down issue.
In NTSC 3:2 pull-down material you decode at 23.97
frames per second but because every 2nd frame
has one field output twice the output frame rate is 29.97.

> the video actually plays fine on the computer, but on
> my dvd player it looks like the frames are blended
> somehow (motion is consistently jerky). for example,
> one shot of someone throwing a ball, if paused, shows
> two balls on the screen at once (like its being
> duplicated somehow?)   people walking around look all
> spastic and jerky..

Ouch... sounds like incorrect field polarity handling...

> any ideas what might be going wrong? I'd almost guess
> it was a bug in mplex or tcmplex, but they've worked
> for other stuff fine on this box before...  this seems
> like something really obvious I am missing

Check if the original material is 3:2 pull down and make sure
this (and the field polarity) is being passed on correctly to the encoder.

 Andrew